Saturday, September 3, 2011

September 3rd: Cupcakes

I didn't make anything too fancy today. We ate the leftovers of Thursday's red beans and rice and I had some chicken salad with crackers. We had salmon from the freezer for dinner with no side dishes. I made cupcakes for my little boy on request and I did use some old millet flour in them to try to use it up. Recipe as follows:

1 c. millet flour
1 c. white rice flour
1 c. tapioca starch
1.5 c. sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
3 tbsp apple sauce
1 tbsp peanut oil
enough water to make a batter

I am a bit concerned that we are only on the 3rd and we are out of bread mix, very low on flour and have very few bars as snacks for the kids. These are some of our biggest expenses (per meal/item at least) and least healthy items. I am going to have to work hard to find replacements. Hubby has already requested pizza. I said no but since we already have mozzarella, tomatoes and pepperoni on hand I might give in toward the end of the month and make him some.

No comments:

Post a Comment